Debbie's Points of Interest

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Journey through Natural Skincare

This post has taken months to write because finding what works for my skin is a journey, and even though I'm happy with my results so far it is still a continuing process.

After years of dealing with mild acne and oily skin I realized that all these harsh chemicals are not the solution. I tried all the over the counter stuff and got mediocre results. Then I tried proactiv and it worked except for the itchiness around my eyes from the harsh benzyl peroxide. After taking a break from it and trying it again, my eyes just got so swollen I couldn't wear contacts, it was quite comical but mostly just really uncomfortable!

Since this summer I've been using Trader Joe's face wash and products. I started with the all-in-one cleanser and antioxidant face moisturizer. In between cleansing and and moisturizing, my favorite step is my homemade toner. It is equal parts water, jojoba oil, and tea tree oil. It seperates, so I shake it up then squeeze some onto a cotton ball and wipe my face just like regular toner.

By the fall I started using Trader Joe's spa tea tree oil cleanser instead of the all-in-one. It is very concentrated and lasts a few months since you use a little each time. It really gives an amazing deep clean! I continued with the antioxidant face moisturizer and for some time used their tea tree deep cleansing wipes but soon went back to my homemade toner after seeing an increase in breakouts. This natural toner saved me, it's really the best!

After the past few months I wanted to find something that was strong yet natural since I'd only been used natural oils and extracts. Right now I'm loving Alba acne dote scrub. It's all natural and has an active ingredient of salicylic acid derived from willow bark extract so I felt safe trying it. Also a week later my skin hasn't freaked out or swollen up, my pores are smaller, it exfoliates with walnut shell powder (very gentle since it's powdered), and smells heavenly. I'm really happy with it!!
Now I can have a close up! Not wearing foundation. But my skin cooperates in most pictures, in person I can easily spot my scars, slowly working to fade those.
Current routine: 
Morning - Alba acne dote scrub, sometimes I use my homemade toner, then antioxidant moisturizer
Night/After the gym - TJ's spa tea tree oil cleanser, home made toner, then moisturizer

Here are some great sources for ideas on treating acne naturally and with vegan products: 
Top 10 Vegan Beauty Products at Trader Joe's 
Purely Twins skin care journey (they talk about hormones and diet too, which all effect skin, I gained so much advice from reading their website)

No comments:

Post a Comment